Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Who gives a fuck about an oxford comma?

  • Ok, so I'd like to discuss two "bands" today. First up, is the mildly known Vampire Weekend. Again, not to suck up, but I heard it on NPR. They were also just on SNL a few days ago. With the full-court media press in effect, its getting likely that you'll hear more of them as the year drones on. The profane title of the post is the opening lyrics to track #2 on their self-titled debut album. A song with references to the annoying nature of some grammatical nazis, it bounces along with a jaunty beat, much like the 10 other songs on this debut. Best described (by someone else) as rich kids that listened to a lot of "Graceland," its one label; indie-afro-pop, being the other label I've seen bounced around. I hate labels like this. Just listen and decide if you like it or not. Me gusta esta musica.
Who Me?
  • Next up is the lovely Zooey Deschanel. See, I told you so. Even she seems surprised to be found as lovely (see right). Described aptly as the "honey voiced starlet from 2003's Elf," the most likely time you last saw her (unless you saw The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (let's face it, most people didn't). But I digress. Ever since I saw her in that movie singing, I've been smitten with her voice. Similar to when I first heard Neko Case serenading my cousin's wedding with her "Deep Red Bells." Only one song with Zooey singing made it onto the Elf soundtrack (its not even in the movie!), the duet with Leon Redbone on "Baby It's Cold Outside."
  • Well that certainly didn't whet my appetite for more! She's been performing as a cabaret act for a few years, but never formally released any music. Its been a long wait, but apparently worth it. She's now performing with M. Ward as She & Him, and have just released the creatively titled "Volume One." Just listen to Why Do You Let Me Stay Here? to get a feel for how her voice can work in a more pop setting. I find the album pretty enjoyable, so its not just her voice anymore! She's um, a good actress too.
  • /end

3 comments:

Resplendentquetzal said...

*coughboringcough*

JL said...

I was looking for a discussion of the relative merits, recent history, and overall use of the oxford comma in modern grammar.

I'm severely disappointed


EBAY RATING: FFFFF Would not purchase from seller again!

Mikeropod said...

Sorry. I will confess that I use them without caution for other people's sensibilities. I'm, pro-comma, all, around.


:(